Posts

Showing posts from April, 2022

2023: INEC committed to credible election, Yakubu assures

 Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu has assured Nigerians of credible election in 2023. He gave the assurance while addressing national commissioners at a retreat in Lagos on Monday. Yakubu reiterated that party primaries are scheduled to commence next Monday and end on 3rd June 2022. Speaking on INEC’s preparedness for the 2023 election, the chairman said the Commission has concluded work on the Strategic Plan 2022-2026 and Election Project Plan for the 2023 General Election. “Very soon, we will finalize work on the Regulations and Guidelines for elections taking into consideration the provisions of the Electoral Act 2022. The three documents will be published and presented to the public next month i.e. April 2022”, he said. The chairman at the occasion reassured that the commission has identified the challenges associated with the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) during voter accreditation. He said “In the recent bye-el...

Eguavoen ‘steps down’ from Eagles job after World Cup qualifier defeat

Image
  Nigeria’s head coach Augustine Eguavoen (R) gestures during the Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) 2021 round of 16 football match between Nigeria and Tunisia at Stade Roumde Adjia in Garoua on January 23, 2022. (Photo by Daniel BELOUMOU OLOMO / AFP) Augustine Eguavoen has stepped down as the head coach of Nigeria’s Super Eagles, days after the team failed to qualify for the 2022 World Cup holding in Qatar. Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi in a statement said the two-year contract offered to Eguavoen has been withdrawn. Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi in a statement said the two-year contract offered to Eguavoen has been withdrawn. “Following the failure of the Super Eagles of Nigeria to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, the erstwhile Technical Adviser, Augustine Eguavoen has stepped down from that position with immediate effect,” Sanusi said. The NFF has in the meantime withdrawn the two-and-half year’s c...

TRAIN ATTACK:200 passengers now safe,22 missing,says NRC

Image
 The Nigerian Railway Corporation has said that 200 passengers who boarded the AK9 Abuja-Kaduna train that was attacked by terrorists on Monday, March 28, 2022, are currently safe in their various homes. It, however, stated that the number of missing passengers had increased to 22, while the phone numbers of 145 others were either switched off, not responding, or unanswered when called. NRC’s Managing Director, Fidet Okhiria, who disclosed this in a statement he issued on Sunday night, also stated that two coaches of the bombed train had been moved to the Rigasa Station. He said, “Of the 362 validated passengers on board the attacked AK9 train service on March 28, 2022, 186 persons on the manifest are confirmed to be safe and at their various homes (additional 14 persons confirmed safe today). “51 phone numbers on the manifest are either switched off or not reachable since Tuesday morning. 35 phone numbers on the manifest are ringing but no response from the other end. “60 phone nu...